[Mailman-Developers] Turning off dynamic JavaScript

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Wed Jul 5 14:44:18 CEST 2006

--On Tuesday, July 4, 2006 9:44 PM +0200 emf wrote:

> I am determined to provide some JavaScript in the 'standard'
> interface, as it will make for enhanced ease-of-use for those sighted
> people using a modern browser.

Hi Ethan,

It says in 6.3 of WCAG 1.0 to "Ensure that pages are usable when
scripts, applets, or other programmatic objects are turned off or not
supported. If this is not possible, provide equivalent information on
an alternative accessible page." [1]

Developers can use javascript as long as it degrades gracefully/is for
progressive enhancement or if they provide an accessible alternative.

If developers want use JavaScript, then they also need to be very sure
that what they write is accessible to devices like screen readers,
magnification software, keyboard only control, voice-only control,
feet-based mice. If developers are willing to support these situations
in a responsible manner (thorough testing with real assistive
technology users is key), then they can write JavaScript.

Current browser-based screenreaders do support javascript, but its
practical scripting capabilities are nothing like the same as the
browser used on its own (in terms of the interface elements it can use,
and whether it can see/read updates to the DOM), yet you can't reliably
detect the difference programmatically.

Heavyweight DOM scripting, often results in inaccessible content,
because events used are mouse-specific and changes to the page are not
always announced to users. The result might be perfectly accessible
content on a page, but a screen reader user may not know that the new
content exists or even if the user knows that it exists he probably
doesn't know where to find it on the page.

Another difficulty often occurs when developers make things that look
like controls on a page, but the information needed by assistive
technologies like explicit labels are not present, and the
accessibility and user experience for disabled users suffers.

It is fine to use javascript, unobtrusively, but, one should be aware
of accessibility issues, and, if you don't NEED javascript for
something that you can do it server side, often the server-side
solution would make more sense.

It is far easier to deal with accessible JavaScript by ensuring that
the core service being provided is not reliant on scripting. That way,
if for some reason the JavaScript is inaccessible, it can be disabled
in a browser, and thus the core functionality remains accessible. This
is a safety net for developers, as well as visitors.

You can guarantee things server side. You can't client side. Maybe 100%
of your users use javascript. Maybe 80% use it. Maybe some have figured
out how to circumvent the javascript and submit invalid data to the
server. Maybe they are not using the latest alternative devices that
support Javascript. Maybe they are blind and hate the way many sites
use javascript to manipulate the browser client-side making it hard for
them to navigate from page to page and so have shut it off. Even people
with perfectly modern computers who have 20/20 eyesight, full cognitive
and motor skills will turn off Java Support in their browser.

The point is that all things being equal, it makes more sense to get
the server-side logic working first, because it's more reliable. After
that, use Javascript to enhance the usability features for the majority
of users, without negatively affecting the accessibility. You should
always fall back on a plain HTML or server-side solution for the
benefit JavaScript provides.

In my opinion accessibility and Javascript boil down to one question:
if you take away/disable javascript, will this prevent the user from
accessing or retrieving the information?

Best regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/#tech-scripts

Related References: