[Mailman-Developers] Hi! I'll be your intern for the summer :)

Matthew Newton mcn4 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 00:45:49 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 01:37:36PM -0400, emf wrote:
> > How about this for extra:
> >
> > 1) Display a list of ALL members - just their names and addresses.
> > 2) Delete ALL the list members with one click - OK, and maybe a confirm
> > dialog!

> Perhaps something that might be more appropriate would be a "member
> differ", wherein you upload a list of email addresses, and it shows you
> the list of emails that were on the list but aren't now, and those that
> would be added, and gives you the option to either accept all the
> changes or selectively modify them.

This sounds like the command-line "sync_members" program. I've
been meaning to add a web interface to that for a while, but
haven't managed to get around to it.

I guess it depends on what you use Mailman for. In then general
internet-user-subscribes-themselves-mailing-list it's great. For a
University with central management of some lists, it isn't quite
what is needed all the time.

One thing that happens each year here for some lists is that all
list members of "course-year2" get moved to "course-year3",
"course-year1" to "course-year2", and new members added to
"course-year1". I can do this easily from the command line with a
"list_members | sync_members", but I'd really prefer the owners to
be able to do it themselves.

Which reminds me, another thing I've been wanting to add is
"download members as text file" (basically the same as 1 above),
which would go together with the sync_members option.

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton <mcn4 at le.ac.uk>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom