[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-checkins] SF.net SVN: mailman: [8041] trunk/mailman/Mailman

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Thu Sep 28 19:01:44 CEST 2006

On 9/28/06 1:11 AM, "Nigel Metheringham"
<Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 23:25 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> LMTP is probably the best and most native method for both sendmail
>> and postfix.  I can't speak for other MTAs.
>
> Exim can do LMTP, over a pipe (ie fork/exec program), a socket or
> TCP/IP.

Exim can, indeed.  But for some cases only if built with a special build
flag.  From the (4.6.1) spec:

The lmtp transport runs the LMTP protocol (RFC 2033) over a pipe to a
specified command or by interacting with a Unix domain socket. This
transport is something of a cross between the pipe and smtp transports. Exim
also has support for using LMTP over TCP/IP; this is implemented as an
option for the smtp transport. Because LMTP is expected to be of minority
interest, the default build-time configure in src/EDITME has it commented
out. You need to ensure that

TRANSPORT_LMTP=yes
is present in your Local/Makefile in order to have the lmtp transport
included in the Exim binary.

However, we seem to be interested in LMTP over TCP (to localhost), and I
*think* that is available without the TRANSPORT_LMTP=yes build.

As one data point, the Exim (4.54) shipped with CentOS-4.4 is built without
the TRANSPORT_LMTP flag:
# exim -bV
Transports: appendfile/maildir autoreply pipe smtp

A quick test with exim -bV -C testConfig
suggests that the protocol = lmtp option in an smtp transport is at least
not a syntax error (and I believe it will work).

  --John