[Mailman-Developers] LTMP for incoming mail

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 29 01:40:55 CEST 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> I know that our current solution is sub-optimal, but I'm not
> convinced that it's the only way to skin this cat.  Moreover, I'm
> also not convinced that Maildir is the only effective way to make
> use of virtual_mailbox_maps.

It may not be.  And maybe there's some way other than
virtual_mailbox_maps to better skin the Postfix virtual domain cat.
I haven't heard it yet though.

> I am pretty much convinced that using Maildir will effectively
> preclude the ability to make use of directory hashing, precisely
> because you're letting the MTA write directly to a poor standard
> interface instead of handling the internal issues in a manner that
> is opaque to the MTA.

Not at all.  If we implement directory hashing, all the other queues
will gain from them equally, regardless of what MTA is being used,
because after the incoming queue, the MTA doesn't figure into it.
The incoming queue has always been a bit special anyway.

> With Maildir, you don't have any choice in what the directory
> layout will look like.  That's standardized within the Maildir
> implementation, and you can't change that.  Otherwise, you wouldn't
> be using Maildir anymore, you'd be using mailbox-directory-solution-
> that-looks-kinda-semi-sorta-like-maildir-but-modified-by-Mailman-
> and-incompatible-with-everything-else.

Except that above the maildirs, you could partition the directories
by domain/list/recipient.  At least, that's the way I read the docs
for virtual_mailbox_maps.  I haven't yet tried it though, so maybe it
doesn't work the way I expect it to.

>>  A directory hashing scheme is orthogonal to a maildir
>>  based queue/in scheme.
>
> I'm not convinced of that.  In fact, I'm convinced that they are
> pretty much mutually exclusive.  That is, unless you're talking
> about using Maildir as a second level of queue-on-disk, before you
> get to the Mailman-internal queue-on-disk mechanism.
>
> Now, if you are talking about two levels of queue-on-disk so that
> we can get both Maildir and queue directory hashing, I think that's
> going to be much, much worse than sticking with the existing
> postfix virtual domain solution.

This maildir proposal /only affects the incoming queue/ which has
always been special anyway.  None of the other queues will be
maildir, and they can all be hashed directories.  The two are
completely independent.

- -Barry