[Mailman-Developers] Improving the archives

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 15:17:26 CEST 2007

On 20 Jul 2007, at 13:39, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I've looked at a few lurker archivers and I wasn't blown away by its
> user interface.  That's apparently highly configurable though.

I'd be inclined to agree wrt user interface. Documentation regarding
this, and anything else to do with lurker, appears somewhat scarce -
speaking as someone who has just migrated the exim.org lists to using
lurker archiving. [previously we used mailman with the MHonArc/pipermail
hybrid]

I am considering starting a set of pages within our wiki about use of
lurker (we tend to cover almost everything else about mail so why not
that).

> Lurker's GPL2 so that's fine.  I'd be quite hesitant about shipping
> Mailman with Lurker because it's something we don't control and
> it's not Python.  But I would be totally open to working with the
> Lurker developers on creating an easy bridge between the two systems.
> Perhaps this dovetails with Jeff's suggestion of easier integration
> with external archiving systems.

Integration with externals feels like a good way to go.

> Does anybody have contacts with the Lurker community that could cross-
> post a new thread to get the discussion going?

The ML appears... lacking in vigor..

BTW lurker gives all messages an ID which is 3 parts separated by
periods. The first part is a date field - ie 20070720, the second part
is the receive time, UTC, as 6 digits, and the final part is some form
of hex id. The nice part is if you quote just the first (or first 2)
parts of message ID you get messages around that time...

	Nigel.