[Mailman-Developers] Improving the archives

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jul 20 16:26:59 CEST 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2007, at 13:39, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> I've looked at a few lurker archivers and I wasn't blown away by its
>> user interface.  That's apparently highly configurable though.
>
> I'd be inclined to agree wrt user interface. Documentation regarding
> this, and anything else to do with lurker, appears somewhat scarce -
> speaking as someone who has just migrated the exim.org lists to using
> lurker archiving. [previously we used mailman with the MHonArc/
> pipermail
> hybrid]

I noticed that!  There's no documentation link on the site.  I also
saw your question regarding getting a message out of lurker given its
message-id.  When I checked yesterday I didn't see a response.

> I am considering starting a set of pages within our wiki about use of
> lurker (we tend to cover almost everything else about mail so why not
> that).

That would be cool.  Feel free to add a link to your pages on the
Mailman wiki, perhaps here:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Home

>> Does anybody have contacts with the Lurker community that could
>> cross-
>> post a new thread to get the discussion going?
>
> The ML appears... lacking in vigor..
>
> BTW lurker gives all messages an ID which is 3 parts separated by
> periods. The first part is a date field - ie 20070720, the second part
> is the receive time, UTC, as 6 digits, and the final part is some form
> of hex id. The nice part is if you quote just the first (or first 2)
> parts of message ID you get messages around that time...

Obviously Mailman can't know the second and third parts so it can't
use them in its list copies.  I dislike using YYYMMDD because of the
high number of collisions.

I should make clear that what I'm really proposing is not specific to
Mailman or any particular archiver.  It's really an interface to a
generic message store.  We succeed by convincing other mailing list
software and archivers to adopt the same standard so that they can
interoperate seamlessly.  We can perhaps have the first
implementations of this defacto standard (any latent RFC shepherds
out there? :).  We get everyone else to adopt it when we take over
the world.

- -Barry