[Mailman-Developers] Templating the interface

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue May 1 15:45:41 CEST 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Terri Oda wrote:

> Ideally, I think it should be possible to skin mailman just using
> CSS, so I'd say we should start there.  And once that's done, maybe
> someone could sit down and try making a few different skins so people
> can have some enriched examples?  read: examples with some
> documentation inline so people can modify them easily.
> I think that could be a good starting point, since no matter what
> further templating we want to do, getting workable (X)HTML coming out
> of the interface seems like it would be a useful step.
>   Terri
> PS - I'd also like to make our interface more usable, but making it
> easy to use with stylesheets is a good goal even if we don't change
> any of the content. :)

Let me add something else.  The trunk may not be stable enough to
actually do much of the u/i rework yet.  I'm really trying to spend
all my spare time getting the trunk to a stable place, based on
SQLAlchemy for the back-end.  It's a disruptive chunk of work, but
I'm making progress.

If there are folks who want to start working on a new web u/i, either
to integrate a new templating system, or to prototype better content
or usability, then in the short term the thing to do would be to
branch Mailman 2.1 and let you have at it.  In order to get commit
access, you'll need to assign your changes to the FSF.  I can help
you get all that paperwork in place.

What do you think about going down that route?

- -Barry

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)