[Mailman-Developers] Templating the interface

Ethan Fremen i at mindlace.net
Sat May 5 18:54:28 CEST 2007

Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> Genshi has been mentioned a few times. My impression was that it
>> insists
>> on producing valid XML output, which is nice, but doesn't necessarily
>> play well with ideas like factorisable head/foot portions.

It doesn't; it has an HTML output mode. Yes, you should have a combined
header and footer, but that's not a big obstacle to factoring.

>> be used for templating the automated email messages, i.e. plain text
>> rather than XML?

Genshi can be used to generate plain text, yes.

> Please keep it on-list.  I'm interested in the discussion too!  I
> forgot to mention Cheetah -- Ethan, did you play with it at one point?

I don't care for cheetah because it's another one of those php-style
markup approaches.

Genshi is really the best templating there is for Python right now, imo;
I would be reluctant to use anything else.

~ethan