[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-Users] mailman user password

Bernd 'Siggy' Brentrup bsb at psycho.i21k.de
Fri Aug 7 17:26:21 CEST 2009

Sorry Adam for hijacking, I'm not subscribed to mm-users.

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 15:46 +0100, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> *shimmied over to mailman-devs* (from -users)
>
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:33:06AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > It kind of sucks that there are so many other Mailman command line
> > scripts, which is one reason why I've always put them in a separate
> > Mailman specific bin directory.  With MM3 though I intend to use a
> > 'subcommand' approach so that there's only one 'mailman' command.
> > Think things like 'mailman listmembers foo'.  I'll probably keep
> > mailmanctl separate though I haven't decided about that yet.

I applaud you on this, Barry. I seem to remember discussions where to
place these commands for Debian, ATM they pollute the /usr/sbin
namespace.  May I suggest to put mailman in /usr/bin while mailmanctl
stays in /usr/sbin.

> Would it too much to ask for the 'old' (read 'current') scripts/commands
> to be aliased: at least in the first few releases?
>
>     e.g., for 'list_members' to link to 'mailman listmembers'
>
> Perhaps as an install/configure/compilation option?
>     "Create old-style links?"
>     --old-style-links

You might contribute some shell scripts simulating old behavior,
a Debian package would then ask an additional debconf question
whether to install these compatibility scripts or not.

Regards
  Siggy
--
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de
               or:                bsb-at-psycho-dot-i21k-dot-de