[Mailman-Developers] Mailman MySQL adaptor - MySQLdb module error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 6 22:39:00 CEST 2010

Aaron Kreider wrote:

>> What's in Mailman's error log. Do you see the same ImportError causing
>> the message to be shunted?
>
>No. I see it has an error about the table not being created. So that
>must mean it is correctly importing the module?  Why does it work here
>and not in other cases?

I'm not sure. see below.

[...]
>> It looks as if you ran
>>
>>   /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo
>>
>> not
>>
>>   strings /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo
>>
>> as I asked. I don't want you to run the listinfo wrapper, I want to see
>> what Python it is invoking. I am guessing there is a python in
>> /user/local/cpanel/3rdparty/ and that that is the Python being used by
>> Mailman. I'm trying to confirm that or at least confirm that it is
>> other than /usr/bin/python(2.4). The wrappers contain the path to
>> Python as a string, and that's what I want to see.
>>
>Ok this is what I get.

Sorry. I don't know why I didn't see it the first time. You had done
what I asked, and I got confused by Content-Type: being the first line
of output (and maybe by your referring to an error). The following is
the output I wanted.

><head>
></head><body>
><h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
><pre>
></pre>
>PYTHONPATH=
>--with-cgi-gid
>--with-mail-gid
>mail
>PYTHONHOME=
><title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
>The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error.
>This entry is being stored in your syslog:
>Failure to find group name for GID %d.  Mailman
>expected the %s wrapper to be executed as group
>"%s", but the system's %s server executed the
>wrapper as GID %d for which the name could not be
>found.  Try adding GID %d to your system as "%s",
>or tweak your %s server to run the wrapper as group
>"%s".
>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the %s
>wrapper script to be executed as group "%s", but
>the system's %s server executed the %s script as
>group "%s".  Try tweaking the %s server to run the
>script as group "%s", or re-run configure,
>providing the command line option `%s=%s'.
>/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/scripts/
>/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman
>/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python

This is what I suspected, but if it's a symlink to /usr/bin/python,
that isn't the issue.

>driver
>listinfo
>nobody
>Mailman cgi-wrapper (listinfo)
>

>BTW this file is a symbolic link:- /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python
>It links to /usr/bin/python2.4

So it appears that the wrappers are using the correct Python, so maybe
it is permissions. The qrunners are (or should be) running as the
mailman user:group, and the web CGI's should run as the mailman group,
but run as the web server user, so that's a difference. Look at the
permissions on the /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/MySQLdb directory
and its subordinates. Directories should be 0755 (drwxr-xr-x) and
files 0644 (-rw-r--r--). Is that the case?