[Mailman-Developers] Auto-reject

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 22 20:06:32 CET 2010

Jonathan Knight wrote:

>I supose what I'm looking for is the auto-reject facility for an
>exceeded message size and I notice the same request scattered through
>the mail archives.  I wonder whether there is an accepted solution for
>doing this?

Since you use Exim, you may be able to modify the Mailman router in
Exim to reject the message at incoming SMTP time and not involve
Mailman at all. This has the added advantage that you won't be
rejecting spam to forged From: addresses.

However, if you want to do this in Mailman, the quick and dirty
approach is to patch Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py with the patch in the
attached Hold.patch.txt file. This patch ignores the list setting
completely and requires that you put MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE = n (n is the
size in KB) in mm_cfg.py to set a size limit.

As Barry suggests, the cleaner approach is a custom handler. See the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9>.