[Mailman-Developers] New RFC on using DKIM with MLMs

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Oct 24 19:37:53 CEST 2011

Murray S. Kucherawy writes:

 > My point is that if using header fields is the right way to encode
 > this information in a protocol sense, then the issue is really that
 > the MUAs need to expose that information somehow.

The success of the IETF RFC process is due to the fact that protocol
is built on existing practice, and compatible with it.  Asking that
reality serve the needs of your spec is neither workable[1] nor
compatible with the philosophy of the RFC process.

 > I have some trouble with the assertion that making the MLM and MTA
 > do what we all agree is the right thing to do constitutes "hiding".

But we *don't* agree that displaying the header is the right thing.
MUAs might very well provide buttons or menu items or keystrokes to
implement the corresponding function, rather than display the header.
I doubt this satisfies the requirements of such laws.

Footnotes:
[1]  Good luck getting Joe Average to give up his Outlook, and even
better luck getting Microsoft to expose protocol headers in a sane way.