[Mailman-Developers] Trying to install mm 3.0.0b1

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Thu Jun 21 16:25:27 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 15:57 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Hm.  I suspect that Debian has installed zc.buildout for a different
> version of Python.  Zope is extremely finicky about that.

well....,

$ python2.6
Python 2.6.7 (r267:88850, Aug 11 2011, 12:18:09) <---- Version 2.6
[GCC 4.6.1] on linux2
>>> from zc.buildout import *
>>> .... :)  <happy>

and.....,

$ python2.7
Python 2.7.2+ (default, Oct  4 2011, 20:06:09) <----- Version 2.7
[GCC 4.6.1] on linux2
>>> from zc.buildout import *
>>> .... :) <also happy>

zc.buildout is installed for both py 2.6 and 2.7.  Could zope be barfing
on the full package version spec, "2.7.2-7ubuntu2"?

Jessy Kate Schingler <jessy at jessykate.com> said:
> FWIW, i found installing within a virtualenv to be a sanity-inducing
> operation for very similar reasons.

What's involved here?  The target box for the install is my desktop
workstation, Linux Mint (a Ubuntu knock-off) running on a virtual
machine; not otherwise an issue.  I don't grok "virtualenv", nor zope
either, having never really encountered either one.  I _do_ know enough
about python to offer some possibly productive suggestion and patches to
the mm code itself, but I don't know if I have the personal bandwidth to
learn a couple of new technologies and debug the install system in order
to do this.

Jessy Kate, can you send me an online reference on setting up a proper
virtual environment?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |