[Mailman-Developers] Trying to install mm 3.0.0b1

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jun 21 16:36:09 CEST 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 05:37 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>I'm trying to install mm 3.0.0b1 as per the directions in START.rst.

START.rst needs to be updated.

In general, buildout is only needed to run the test suite, so I think it's
more appropriate for development rather than deployment.  In fact, I'd like to
get rid of the need for buildout and just go with virtualenv, but the test
suite currently depends on the buildout environment, so that's not yet
feasible.

For deployments (i.e. you just want to run mm3) it's better to create a
virtualenv and then `python setup.py install` into that virtualenv.

I should note that on my Ubuntu development machines, I do not have
python-zc.buildout installed, but instead after running `python bootstrap.py`
I end up with the zc.buildout-1.5.2-pyX.Y.egg in my eggs directory.  So I'm
guessing even though the versions are the same, there's some other
incompatibility between the Debuntu package and the PyPI package, but I don't
know what that might be.

Cheers,