[Mailman-Developers] X-Message-ID-Hash header (was Re: Python 3)

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Dec 29 19:02:06 CET 2014

On Dec 29, 2014, at 10:13 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> > If we change the header name, I'd want to keep X-Message-ID-Hash
> > for the MM3 final release, but deprecate it.  I.e. MM3 would write
> > both headers.
>
>I'll ask some of the IETF guys what they think about that.  But if you
>put it in a public release, you're screwing the same kind of people
>Tanstaafl was talking about.  Beta testers (and I mean beta testers,
>ie, people who have put the code in production even though it's not
>considered a public release) have signed up for this kind of
>annoyance.  Random ancient Debian sysadmins haven't.
>
>Of course we don't want to abuse our beta testers if we can avoid it,
>but I think if we don't want to maintain dual headers indefinitely,
>the public release is the time to get rid of the X- version.

I'd be willing to drop it if we can get agreement on the new header, and get
buy-in from at least HK (abompard) and the mail-archive.com folks.  AFAIK,
they are the only two "clients" of the header atm.  I'm not sure if the Jeffs
are still reading this list, so I've CC'd them directly.

Jeffs: we are considering changing the X-Message-Hash-ID header name, at least
dropping the X- prefix and possibly renaming the header.

> > As for what the List-* header would be, well, if you wanted to
> > include the algorithm name, to be completely accurate it would have
> > to be something like
> > List-Base32-Encoded-SHA1-Hash-Of-The-Message-ID.  Yuck ;)
>
>We'd have to think somewhat carefully about how strong a hash we want to use
>if we don't specify algorithm in the field name.  I'm not particularly
>concerned with how many bytes the header takes up.  Future users can just
>deal with the implied BASE32 vs. BASE85 or whatever.  However, if somebody
>thinks they need a stronger hash than we chose, we'll have interoperability
>problems for people who receive the message off-list.

Base 32 is a good trade-off between compactness and readability.

> > The value of this header both serves to uniquely identify the
> > message in a more regular format, and to serve as the final path
> > component in the Archived-At (RFC 5064) header.  So the following
> > names come to mind:
> >
> > List-Message-ID
> > List-Archive-ID
> > List-Archived-At-ID
> >
> > suggestions welcome.
>
>The last two are too easily confused with Archived-At.

Suggestions welcome. :)

> > Right.  However, when this was discussed several years ago, the
> > mail-archive.com guys did some extensive data analysis on their
> > vast collection of email.  You'd have to go spelunking in the
> > -developers archives for details, but I recall that the collision
> > rate was so small as to be effectively negligible,
>
>Yes.  The problem is that there are people out there with MUAs that
>provide bogus Message-IDs (Kyle Jones's VM used to do that), and for
>those people all messages after the first get dropped.

As you know, I have limited tolerance for broken MUAs.  Gosh, do people still
use VM? :)

>Note that if the server does indeed ignore the possibility of
>collisions on Message-ID, then there is no need (AFAICS) for the
>"thin" IArchiver to communicate with the archiver proper.

Right.  MM3 does not current reject messages with duplicate Message-IDs, but I
think it should.  I had a branch in flight that implemented this, but it
caused some failures I wasn't able to resolve, and the branch bitrotted.

>I don't see how it hurts to provide for the possibility of an archiver that
>does check content.
>
> > Right, we hash (pun intended :) all this out years ago.  We can
> > ignore collisions, and we can do the entire calculation on the
> > server side, using Message-ID as the sole input.  I think the only
> > issue that's worth reopening is the name of the header.
>
>Well, that's true for *us*.  The folks at the IETF don't have a habit
>of leaving well enough alone, though. ;-)

Right, so let's do what *we* think is right, right now, and let the committee
take 10 years to define a standard. ;)

Cheers,