[Mailman-Developers] Translation

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Oct 16 02:49:03 CEST 2014

Guillaume Libersat writes:

 > Ok, thanks for your advice! I've done exactly what you said, here's the
 > beginning of the work:
 > https://code.launchpad.net/~glibersat/postorius/i18n-french

Great!

 > I hope to finish the translation in a few days. I've also added a few
 > "trans" tags so more strings are now internationalized.

AFAIK Mailman in the past has given free reign to the translators on
existing translations, but adding new translations (if I understand
what you mean by "adding 'trans' tags") is subject to review by other
developers, and eventually Florian and Terri.  I don't know if it
applies to the Postorius code, but I know I've run into situations
where it was undesirable to use the internationalization mechanism to
translate certain strings.

It is very helpful to the maintainers when reviewing and integrating
if you make separate commits for the translations themselves, and for
changes to the originals.  It's even better if you keep separate kinds
of changes in separate branches.  (This is very cheap for Launchpad;
they use "stacked branches" to minimize the work done to create a new
branch.)

It occurs to me that if you are adding new translations, it might be a
good idea even to do a separate commit for each one, including both
the markup at the original string and the French translation.

Note that I'm not a Postorius maintainer, nor the project lead, and
I've also not done translation work myself.  So I don't know how much
burden these guidelines put on you.  They aren't "rules" (at least not
until Florian or Terri says so!), but it would be helpful to the
project if you consider using them in your work to make the
integration side go more smoothly.

Thank you for your consideration, and thanks again for the
translations!