[Mailman-Developers] Approach for full anonymization of a mailing list

Rashi Karanpuria 2013165 at iiitdmj.ac.in
Sun Mar 8 17:12:57 CET 2015

1) We create a database table with the schema | orig_id | fake_id |
thread_name | where whenever the user posts a first message to some thread
a new fake random id is generated and stored in this table. For a specific
user fake_id remains same for specific thread.

2) We need to remove the old implementation of anonymous list from
src/mailman/handlers/cleanse.py instead we create a new handler that
implemented before to_outgoing.py in the pipeline.

3) process method in this handler is exclusively for a anonymous list, it
won't process other lists.

4) In this new handler we first replace the value of From header with the
fake_id corresponding to this thread for the user who sent this message.
The fake_id of the format <foo>@<foo1>.com where foo is randomly generated
and foo1 is derived from the list name and is same for all fake addresses
on this list. Or foo1 can also be unanimously kept as "anonymous"

5) In the header we put the Reply-To option to be the mailing list address.

6) Then we cleanse the header keeping only From, To, Reply-To .

N.B.: In this approach personal mails will be bounced by the MTA.

Any suggestions or improvements on this would be of great help.

Regards
Rashi