[Mailman-Developers] mailman 3 and mysql

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed May 27 16:07:22 CEST 2015

On May 27, 2015, at 04:49 PM, Danil Smirnov wrote:

>1) Does this also relate to Postorius and HyperKitty db configuration
>set in file production.py? Can I use MySQL for them?..

Others can provide more detailed answers but it might be a good idea to keep
all three components in the same database.  At least that makes it easier to
maintain.

>2) What is better for production - to keep SQLite use or install PostgreSQL?
>The manual told me that I have to use 'full-blown database server'
>which is not true for SQLite I think?...

I'd like for SQLite to be appropriate for production, but it might not be.
Because of the way SQLite does locking (also, in the Python layer), you might
get some database lock errors.  We've seen a few of these reported in the
past; it usually means a transaction hasn't been properly closed (aborted or
committed) in one process.  Remember, MM3 has no list-locks any more.

None of that should happen with a client/server based DB.  I guess I'd say
that we'd love to get more production experience with MM3 backed by SQLite, so
use that if you feel like you can help debug any problems that *might* occur.
If you don't want to be bothered, stick with PG for now, or if you know MySQL
well, try to adapt the PG support to it and contribute! :)

Cheers,