[Mailman-Developers] no module named django

Simon Hanna simon at hannaweb.eu
Mon Dec 18 10:28:09 EST 2017

Replying back to the list :-)

 > #virtualenv  = /srv/django/mailman/env
> since you managed to install postorius and get it running, you either
> installed it systemwide which would work with it commented out, or you
> actually created a virtualenv in which case you should know where the
> location of that is. (virtualenv is preferred, you only use the system
> packages, if they are installes using your package manager and the
> application is too. Otherwise you will run into incompatibilties sooner
> or later.
>
> totally do not know about virtualenv, just follow the guide to install
> postorius.
> when runserver, it can visit by 192.168.1.96, when "ctrl+c",
> 192.168.1.96 not work.
virtualenv is a python concept, you should be able to find information
online about that.
It's about how and where you install python dependencies.

> > #socket  = /run/uwsgi/mailman.sock
> This is the socket that is created for the webserver to connect to. I'm
> actually not sure what happens if you don't include that... I doubt
> uwsgi would actually start.
>
> installed uwsgi and it seems running, I run $ uwsgi, there is no error.
> but can't find /run/uwsgi/ directory, usually mailman.sock can be at
> which directory?

By convention sockets are placed in /run/ you can put them wherever you
want.
> I tried with docker, here is its guide with 6 steps:
> ---
> $ mkdir -p /opt/mailman/core
> $ mkdir -p /opt/mailman/web
> $ git clone https://github.com/maxking/docker-mailman
> $ cd docker-mailman
> # Change some configuration variables as mentioned above.
> $ docker-compose up -d
> ----
> But about configuration in step 5, I can't
> find /opt/mailman/core/mailman-extra.cfg
> and /opt/mailman/web/settings_local.py, and can't find it in any
> directory from /home/lists/docker-mailman/.
> so do not know what to with it. is it to create these two files?

Yes, you have to manually create them. The idea is that there are
default settings and you would override them in additional files.
The default settings are found here
https://github.com/maxking/docker-mailman/blob/master/web/mailman-web/settings.py
https://github.com/maxking/docker-mailman/blob/master/core/assets/mailman.cfg
There are some settings that you have to overwrite, as mentioned in the
readme of https://github.com/maxking/docker-mailman
You do so, by specifing them in the respective files that you create in
/opt/mailman/ on your host machine.
You can search for the settings in the original files in the github repo
and then use the same syntax in your new files.
> OK, maybe it is realistic for me to wait for debian backport.
That will definelty mean less work for you, and you will have it running
directly on the machine managed by your package manager.
This will probably be easier with upgrades as well.