[Mailman-Developers] Signaling One-Click Functionality for List Email Headers

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed May 10 15:18:18 EDT 2017

In article <20170510133609.61fba76f at subdivisions.wooz.org> you write:
>I probably need more convincing that it would actually be used out in the
>field, ...

Gmail's already implemented it.  I'm pretty sure Yahoo is also planning to.

>  But OTOH, if it's of some utility it doesn't look
>like it would be difficult in core to support the extra header.  We'd need a
>small bit of REST and db schema/style setting work so that the list itself
>could be configured for one-click or not, depending on the web u/i being
>used.  (E.g. maybe one-click unsub is supported in Postorius, but other sites
>might not support it.)

Keep in mind that the list and user info have to be encoded in the
existing List-Unsubscribe header, and one-click just adds a fixed
List-Unsubscribe-Post header to tell the recipient that it can do a
POST for one click.  The encoded header makes regular unsub work
better too, since it knows what address to remove and needn't ask the
user.

R's,
John

>>It would certainly make it easier to deal with grumpy gmail users,
>>since gmail does not provide junk button feedback.
>
>Let's call that the Grumpy 800lb Gorilla principle. :)

Yes indeed.