[Mailman-Developers] Signaling One-Click Functionality for List Email Headers

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 11 14:46:28 EDT 2017

On 05/10/2017 12:18 PM, John Levine wrote:
> In article <20170510133609.61fba76f at subdivisions.wooz.org> you write:
>> I probably need more convincing that it would actually be used out in the
>> field, ...
>
> Gmail's already implemented it.  I'm pretty sure Yahoo is also planning to.

Are you saying Google Groups and maybe Yahoo Groups are adding the
headers or their web mail clients are/will be supporting it?

Given that Gmail's web mail client doesn't seem to offer "reply to list"
when there's a List-Post: header, the latter seems unlikely.

I have tried one-click unsubscribe in message footers, and this is
generally not a good idea because of people unwittingly
replying/forwarding a post with their personal link to others and then
others unsubscribing the first person thinking they are unsubscribing
themselves.

This is a header, so it normally won't be included in a forward or
reply, so that issue is moot and makes the RFC 8058 method attractive.

I agree with Barry that personalization is not the big performance hit
it once was, but there are admins that don't want to enable Mailman's
VERP or allow personalization because they think it is. In MM 2.1 at
least, we could avoid that issue by only adding the personalized
unsubscribe link if the delivery were already personalized or VERPed.

I'm still concerned that mainstream MUAs including web mail clients
won't support it for some time if ever.