[Mailman-i18n] A few questions and some suggestions

Daniel Buchmann Daniel.Buchmann@bibsys.no
Sun, 05 Aug 2001 14:02:20 +0200

I've almost completed the norwegian translation for mailman-1.2a2.
I will soon merge message.pot for mailman-1.2a3 with my message.po, but I want
to finish message.po for the mailman-1.2a2 version first.
But I need a little help with a few strings, because I don't know what they're
being used for or where they appear. (Which is essential to know to be able to
translate them). If someone could help me out, it would be great.
What I would like to know is where these strings appear, and how to produce
them. (e.g. what to do to make them appear in the context they are supposed to
appear)
1. #: Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py:276
   msgid "Reloading pickled archive state"

2. #: Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py:303
   msgid "Pickling archive state into "

3. #: Mailman/Bouncer.py:220
   msgid "BUT:        %(succeeded)s"

4. #: Mailman/Cgi/admin.py:311
   msgid "No valid variable details request not found: %(path_info)s"
   (I didn't really understand this one, is this a typo?)

5. #: Mailman/Handlers/Acknowledge.py:57
   msgid "%(realname)s post acknowledgement"

I now have have 763 translated strings in my message.po :)
I'm skipping all docstrings and the strings for bin/pygettext.py.
I'm also wondering how to make translated strings appear when running any of the
commands in <mailman-dir>/bin. When I run e.g. check_perms, I still get "No
problems found", not my translated norwegian string...

And I have some suggestions/questions about some of the strings in message.po
(my examples are for 2.1a2, some of these have been moved to other files in
2.1a3):

1. These two strings are the same, right?
      #: Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py:411
      msgid "%(origsender)s isn't subscribed to this list."
   and
      #: Mailman/MailCommandHandler.py:436
      msgid "%(origsender)s is not subscribed to this list."
   Maybe one of these could be chosen, so the same string is used both places?
   (In norwegian, for example, the translation of these to strings would be
   the same.)

2. Mailman/MailList.py:390 reads:
      "[...] In order to split the list ownership duties into
      administrators and moderators, you must set a separate moderator
      password in the section below, and also provide the email
      addresses of the list moderators in this section. [...]"
   I think this text maybe should be rewritten a bit, because the text does
   not appear where the user is setting the moderator password, it appears in
   the help/details page for providing email addresses of the list
   administrators. Maybe just removing "in the section below" would do be
   enough...
   (The same goes for Mailman/MailList.py:414)

3. Mailman/MailList.py:623 (2.1a2), Mailman/Gui/General.py:295 (2.1a3)
   Maybe reverse the order of 'Yes' an 'No' for this options, so they are put
   in the same order as the other options that appear above it?

4. Mailman/MailList.py:672
   Maybe mention list moderator(s) in the text? Because it could be
   the list moderator that approves the posting, not the list admin...
   Like this: "require approval - require list administrator or moderator
                                  approval for subscriptions<br>."

5. Mailman/MailList.py:734
   There is a typo here. "to to":
   "[...] The intention is to to prevent the addresses [...]"

6. Mailman/MailList.py:743 reads:
      "Must posts be approved by an administrator?"
   Maybe mention the list moderator here too?
   Like: "Must posts be approved by an administrator (or possibly a
          moderator)?"

7. Mailman/MailList.py:755
   This is really a minor cosmetic detail. The string is missing a ')',
   which should be added at the end of it.

--
Daniel B.
db@bibsys.no