[Mailman-i18n] Removing .mo files from cvs

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Apr 21 19:11:37 EDT 2003

I'm strongly considering removing .mo files from cvs and the tar.gz
file, possibly for Mailman 2.1.2.

- The files can easily be created at build time, even if gettext doesn't
exist.  We have a pure-Python version of msgfmt

- It cuts out about 4MB uncompressed from the tar file

- Having .mos makes creating patches more difficult.

- It should greatly speed up cvs update.

I'd like to know if anybody has objections to this.  It would actually
make the translation teams job easier since you won't have to worry
about building or checking in the .mo files.

I have this working in an unchecked in snapshot.  Before I commit it I
wanted to see if anybody has major objections or can see any flaws.

-Barry