[Mailman-i18n] A better way of doing templates?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Nov 23 23:55:13 CET 2005

Jordi Mallach brings up a good point on the rosetta-users mailing list,

Rosetta doesn't really work with non-po files, so the fact that we have
templates that need translating will cause us some grief.  Well, even
more grief than it has over the years. ;)

Does anybody have any good ideas for handling this in the Mailman 2
tree?  For MM3, it's a top priority that any templating system we use
must support po-ification for i18n.  For Mailman 2.2 it's more difficult
because I don't think we should adopt an entirely new template system.
It's even worse for 2.1 because we're not accepting new features,
although if we came up with something simple and minimally disruptive,
I'd consider it for the benefit of improving the translation process.

Ideas are welcome!
-Barry