[Mailman-i18n] Starting Vietnamese localization?

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Wed Mar 1 06:16:31 CET 2006

On 28/02/2006, at 10:56 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:46 +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>> I strongly support the idea of maintaining the Mailman translations
>> through the Translation Project. I translate for quite a few
>> projects, and the TP are the most effective translation project I've
>> encountered.
> It's been "on my list" to get us moved over to Rosetta, but I just
> haven't had the time to follow through. :(

If you want to use an online translation interface, I'd recommend
Pootle over Rosetta. Pootle is free software. You can also use it to
run your own server, online or offline.

>   For now, I think Tokio
> posted a link to instructions on how to start with translations,
> and you
> can just send new catalogs and templates to us and we'll get them into
> the source tree.

I'd love to start, but the link Tokio posted led to this:

> Have you read README-I18N.en in the distribution tar ball?  The
> section
> entitled 'ADDING NEW TRANSLATIONS' should be followed before you
> designate language in mm_cfg.py (not Defaults.py).

I don't have the tarball. I run Mac OSX, and I don't have mailman on
my system. Where can I find this howto online, please?
> In short, you should have templates/iw/* and
> messages/iw/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.(po|mo) files although the translation
> may not be complete.  You may have to edit Makefile(.in) if you do
> this
> in the source code directory.

I am simply a translator who wants to help. I do not have any coding
skills, nor am I able now to acquire them, due to illness.

I can edit .po files, I can submit them via email, CVS or SVN, and I
can do simple edits in specific files like configure.in _iff_ I am
told exactly what file, where to find it, and what to do.

If I can get hold of the howto, plus the PO files, I can get started.
Please tell me where I can do this.

Thankyou. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)