[Mailman-i18n] Starting Vietnamese localization?

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Wed Mar 1 06:16:31 CET 2006

On 28/02/2006, at 10:56 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:46 +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>
>> I strongly support the idea of maintaining the Mailman translations
>> through the Translation Project. I translate for quite a few
>> projects, and the TP are the most effective translation project I've
>> encountered.
>
> It's been "on my list" to get us moved over to Rosetta, but I just
> haven't had the time to follow through. :(

If you want to use an online translation interface, I'd recommend
Pootle over Rosetta. Pootle is free software. You can also use it to
run your own server, online or offline.

http://pootle.wordforge.org/
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle

>   For now, I think Tokio
> posted a link to instructions on how to start with translations,
> and you
> can just send new catalogs and templates to us and we'll get them into
> the source tree.

I'd love to start, but the link Tokio posted led to this:

> Have you read README-I18N.en in the distribution tar ball?  The
> section
> entitled 'ADDING NEW TRANSLATIONS' should be followed before you
> designate language in mm_cfg.py (not Defaults.py).

I don't have the tarball. I run Mac OSX, and I don't have mailman on
my system. Where can I find this howto online, please?

> In short, you should have templates/iw/* and
> messages/iw/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.(po|mo) files although the translation
> may not be complete.  You may have to edit Makefile(.in) if you do
> this
> in the source code directory.

I am simply a translator who wants to help. I do not have any coding
skills, nor am I able now to acquire them, due to illness.

I can edit .po files, I can submit them via email, CVS or SVN, and I
can do simple edits in specific files like configure.in _iff_ I am
told exactly what file, where to find it, and what to do.

If I can get hold of the howto, plus the PO files, I can get started.
Please tell me where I can do this.

Thankyou. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)