[Mailman-i18n] Pootle introduction

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Fri Jul 4 16:52:50 CEST 2008

Hey Barry :)

On 03/07/2008, at 11:03 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> This was extremely helpful, thanks!  I've captured this on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Pootle+primer

I should have thought of that, sorry.

> Just a couple of comments.
>
> Ah, downloading was buried on the Show Editing Functions page.  I
> knew I had to be missing it!

While Pootle is an excellent tool, its UI really does need to become
more intuitive. There's a review process going on now, with some
improvements already being tested. You can see some of the ideas here.
[1] Please feel free to add your own! I'll keep you up-to-date with
changes.

>> Barry, if you want to download all the PO files at once, you're
>> better off downloading them from bzr. Pootle splits the files into
>> language-projects.
>
> When you say "download from bzr", I'm not sure what you mean.  Does
> Pootle's bzr integration actually publish its own branches?  If so,
> that would be very cool!

No, Pootle syncs with Bzr, so the files should be the same on both
servers. I don't know if Pootle can publish its own branch, if you
would find that useful: if not, you could supply a Python script to
make that happen. ;)

Most of Pootle's features and improvements have occurred because a
user or admin asked for them. I asked for the source-control sync some
time ago, starting with SVN, and requesting bzr specifically for
Mailman. Pootle is essentially what we make of it. If you hang out on
the Pootle list, you'll see how it all comes together.

> Ideally, I'd like for the translators to just do their thing,
> without regard to Mailman's release cycle.  (In practice though, we
> should give them a heads up of course.)  When we're ready to release
> we Push A Button to grab all the current translations and package
> them up into whatever form we need.  We can probably automate it
> all, screen scraping if we have to (though that sucks), but if we
> had access to those files through bzr, that would rock.

Since you have bzr sync, all you'll have to do is grab your files from
the repo. Give us at least two weeks' warning before release, though.
Then we can all update our Pootle files.

It would also be useful if you had an RSS feed for changes to the
original strings. I don't know about other translators, but I tend to
work first on the files sent to me (TP), or ones where I'm emailed
about changes to them (Debian). Often I don't have time to scan my
mailing lists. So RSS or email notification is a big time-saver, and
raises the priority of your project with the time-scarce translator. ;)

> If possible, I'm sure we could set up a fake user on Launchpad for
> Pootle to push branches to, say once per day.  That would also be
> very cool because then we wouldn't have to fear for Cristobal's
> machine crashing.

With bzr sync, you don't have to worry about that at all. You might
lose some of a day's work: I don't know how often the sync is done.
You can probably set that parameter yourself.

>> Barry, I strongly suggest we keep the most current files on Pootle
>> (Mailman 3.0?), even for testing. We can upload all the different
>> branches, as well, but our translation effort is best spent working
>> on the current files.
>
> Agreed.  I really want to split the translations out of the main
> tree anyway, so I'm happy if they live on the Pootle server, or even
> better, on Launchpad.  As part of our release process, we can grab
> and combine everything.

Again, since you have bzr sync, we can keep the translation files for
all the active branches on Pootle. That gives us a one-stop shop: we
can update whichever branch needs updating.

> Does Pootle back the files up off-site?  See the push-to-Launchpad
> idea.

Unsure. The source-control sync gives you an offsite backup, anyway.
Once Pootle had source-control sync, it may not have continued with a
separate backup of the files.

> One other thing I think we need to be careful of.  I've been sadly
> too lax about this in the past, but we can do better now.  Let's
> make sure that any translator we give permission to has signed the
> necessary papers with the FSF.
>
> http://translationproject.org/html/whydisclaim.html
>
> If a translator has already disclaimed their translations, they'll
> be listed on this page:
>
> http://translationproject.org/html/authors.html
>
> I'll urge all Mailman translators to go ahead and send the
> disclaimer form now.

Yes, please do. We need this done before we can assign access rights
on Pootle. This disclaimer is useful to you, as well: it clears you
for the Translation Project, for Mailman, and for other GNU projects.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/ui_ideas