[Mailman-i18n] German Localization

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 17 16:21:24 CEST 2012

On Oct 17, 2012, at 01:28 PM, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

>PS: I'm purposely ignoring the problem with the whole bunch of German
>regional dialects (and even .at has far more then one. Yes, most in .de
>can't distinguish them, though they are quite different) which adds to
>the problem of an "official German translation". We already have way too
>much "German language imperialism" in .at - thanks to strange TV
>translations;-)

It is possible to support sub-dialects.  We already support pt and pt_BR for
Portuguese and zh_CN and zh_TW too.  I've occasionally been asked for English
dialects to add colour and internationalisation :).

What doesn't work so well right now is stacking those dialects, so that if
most of en_US works for you, you'd just need an en_GB for the few differences
between American and British English.  This might be something we could fix in
Mailman 3; it could make for a nice little contribution if someone were
interested in doing so.

-Barry