[Mailman-Users] Still need code info for privacy option

Ken Manheimer klm at digicool.com
Sat Apr 17 01:48:05 CEST 1999

Damn, i hit the wrong key.  That's what i get (sorry you all do to) for
trying to rush to get this out late on friday eve.  I was saying:

On thursday, Nicholson James D wrote:

> I reported a problem previously that the privacy option to rewrite the
mail
> header to make it appear that it is coming from the list as opposed to
an
> individual user, is broken under IRIX 6.2 (or possibly just on my
machine).
> I REALLY need to take a look at the code responsible for this.
However, I
> just don't know mailman.
>
> Could someone please give me a pointer to the code responsible for the
> rewrite as well as some way to check the settings to see if the web
> interface to list administration is setting the switch correctly for
this
> feature?

The variable name in the code is 'anonymous_list', and the relevant
focus is in Mailman/MailList.py .  There's a section where the setting
is defined, and another setting in the Post() method where it is used.
A common simple trick for investigating the setting would be to make
calls to self.LogMsg(), e.g.

   self.LogMsg("debug", "anonymous_list: %s", self.anonymous_list)
# DEBUG

just before the conditional in Post() that uses it, and then you should
see an entry in the logs/debug file with the message, each time your
line is executed.

If it is set but the lines within the conditional aren't doing their
job, to ascertain exactly what's going on you'll have to get acquainted
with the Mailman.Message.IncomingMessage class, at least enough to poke
around one.

Oh yeah, if you really want to have fun, and are comfortable with
python, the README file describes interacting with a maillist from the
python command prompt.  You can also interact with message objects, etc.
But it's not for the faint of heart.

I hope this helps - sorry i don't have the time to help more with your
investigation, let us know what you determine!

Ken
klm at digicool.com