[Mailman-Users] Moving Listproc lists

Greg Connor gconnor at nekodojo.org
Sat Apr 17 18:55:40 CEST 1999

At 04:58 PM 4/16/99 +0200, Gerhard Gonter wrote:
>Does anybody have a nice little tool to transfer a listproc based
>mailing list to mailman?
>
>If not, I'll start with a program to transfer the user list or
>check, if add_members could be hacked to do that ;)

I did it all by hand on my system... here are the commands I used to
transfer users, as closely as I can remember...

su
su -l server
cat lists/LIST1/.subscribers | grep "ACK" | cut -f1 -d" " | tr "[A-Z]"
"[a-z]" > /tmp/list1.regular
cat lists/LIST1/.subscribers | grep "DIGEST" | cut -f1 -d" " | tr "[A-Z]"
"[a-z]" > /tmp/list1.digest
exit
su -l mailman
add_members -n /tmp/list1.regular list1
add_members -d /tmp/list1.digest list1

Also, I had problems subbing more than 20 people at a time; all would get
subbed, but only 20 or so would get welcome messages (containing their new
random password).  If you think you might have this problem too, use
something like this instead..

su -l mailman
split -15 /tmp/list1.regular /tmp/list1.regular.x
split -15 /tmp/list1.digest /tmp/list1.digest.x
foreach j (/tmp/list1.regular.x*)
add_members -n $j
sleep 40
end