[Mailman-Users] High load while sending a message.

Christian Dysthe cdysthe at oddbird.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 16 21:21:01 CEST 1999

On 16 Aug, Fabricio Chalub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just configured mailman on my RH 6.0 box and set up a 60-people list.
> Now, whenever I send a mail to this list, my server load average goes to 20
> and even sometimes 40, instead of the normal 0.5 :)   My hard-disk goes
> crazy but the CPU usage remains low (0% - 10 %).
>
> Why does this happen?  Is mailman running 60 copies of python at the same
> time?   I have 128 mb, and normally 3 mb on swap.  When I send a mail, my
> swap usage climbs up to 27-35 megabytes!
Hi,

we run a list with 35.000 users on it. We run it on a Debian Slink
server. While Mailman "prepares" the mails top shows a python
process suck up 90-95% CPU for a little while. Then it drops drastically
and the mta takes over (exim). Our server is also our web server and
http connect speeds does not seem to be affected by Mailman.

But I have to say that Mailman has dealt very nicely with this
relatively large list. I can not tell if the hd is grinding though since
the server is located outside of our offices.