[Mailman-Users] Re: [Exim] Exim and mailman - HOWTO

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at vdata.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 10:01:27 CEST 1999

Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no said:
> First, a warning: This relies on internal Mailman directory
> structures, which is liable to change in future versions (e.g. to
> avoid collision problems with several lists having the same
> (localpart) name when housing multiple mail domains in one Mailman
> installation).

That is very much the case.  However when that happens all MTA configs
are likely to need changing anyhow - in general aliases don't carry
domain information either :-)
So people need to be aware of it, but I can't generalise to cater for
it yet.

> Next, wouldn't checking for the existence of config.db be better?  The
> Mailman code goes to great lengths to ensure that a valid config.db is
> present at all times -- I'm not sure (haven't checked) that the same
> is true for listinfo.html.  Besides, internal parts of Mailman (like
> the listinfo overview page) uses existance of config.db as a (first)
> test of whether the list is present or not.

I'll modify my checks to do that.

> I believe Barry mentioned some plans for a grand bounce detection
> overhaul post Mailman-1.0.

I'm aware that this has been mentioned.  I've also got some comments in
the bug tracking system on bounce recognition.  I'll take this up with
Barry and consider getting my hands properly dirty with code too -
although with Python I'm going to need someone else to check what I'm
doing until I really get the hang of it :-)

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]