[Mailman-Users] Question Regarding admindb

Chris Albone yvain at gmp.usyd.edu.au
Thu Dec 2 02:30:07 CET 1999

> Ahh you're right... I tried quitting Netscape and coming back in, etc, but
> it kept the cookie... but I tried on another system and it asked me for the
> password.
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> I'm still wondering why every time I get the List Administrative Password
> screen, right at the top it says "Error Decoding Authorization Cookie", is
> that normal?

This problem often arises when one is accessing the web via a proxy or proxy
array. Specifically, the mailman SecurityManager  sets a cookie in your
browser whose value is dependent upon the ip address of the source of the
request. If you are accessing the web through a proxy array, then it is
possible that the requests come from different ip addresses (ie. the address
of one or another of the proxy servers). When mailman compares the cookie that
it has set with the new request, it will notice that the request has come from
a different ip and return the error that you have seen.

My solution was to stop mailman using the ip address when setting the cookie.

A question.. What is wrong with simply using boring web security instead of
fighting an uphill battle with cookies?

peace
Chris