[Mailman-Users] Blocking posts based on keywords

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Sat Jan 2 00:44:37 CET 1999

    NS> Is there a way to filter all mail sent to a list and if it
    NS> contains any of the words listed it, sends it to the admin to
    NS> be approved? I.E. I want to block post people send to the list
    NS> asking to be removed, or containing profanity, or with
    NS> vacation programs.

There is currently some support for blocking administrivia sent to the
general list, e.g. someone sending a message with the word
`unsubscribe'.

There is some support in scripts/post to pass incoming messages
through a filter program of your choosing, but it's primitive and
hasn't been well-tested AFAIK.  Take a look at scripts/post for
details -- to hook in your filter program, you'll probably need to set
DEFAULT_FILTER_PROG in Mailman/mm_cfg.py, and this will affect all the
lists at your site.

This could use some fleshing out: it might be worthwhile to have a
per-list filter; it might be useful to allow list admins to choose
from a list of available filters provided by the site admin; it would
definitely be useful for the interface between scripts/post and the
filters to allow for things like "the filter wants to cancel the post"
or "the filter wants to hold the post for approval".

-Barry