[Mailman-Users] Sequence numbers

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Jan 13 01:24:10 CET 1999

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:55:47 -0500 (EST)
Barry A Warsaw<bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:

> Mostly time constraints.  We have plans to do things like, if a
> message was sent to several lists, make sure no recipient on the
> union of those lists gets the message more than once.

If you do this, please make it optional as it really screws mail
filters/systems that rely on per-list receipts (like I do).

A feature I'm looking for in MailMan (and am willing to hack in as
soon as I get time) is what I call "controlled lists".  Simply:

  -- by default subscribers can't post.
  -- depending on list configuration their posts are either held for
     moderator approval or are silently bit-bucketted.
  -- the list owner can tag specific subscribers such that their
     posts are automatically approved (ie grant posting authority to
     that subscriber).

Another minor extension on a different axis makes lists invitation
only (any existent member in good standing may invite/sponsor other
members to the list).  There are two forms of this: sponsored with
list owner oversight and sponsored with no oversight.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
(Contractor)                             Internet: coder at kanga.nu
---------(*)                    Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...