[Mailman-Users] Bug in b7?

scott cotton scott at chronis.pobox.com
Wed Jan 13 04:24:40 CET 1999

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 10:05:05PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

| My understanding is if you've got "approved by admin" set to yes, then
| no matter what the setting of "restrict" and the sender's list
| membership, all postings require the approval.  However, if the sender
| is explicitly enumerated in the third option, no approval is
| necessary.
|
| And I've probably got that wrong.  We need to do a better job of
| either describing how these options interact, or find a better
| interface and mechanism for specifying the various options.

IMO opinion the clearest interface would be to allow the
admin to set a list of restrictions.  each restriction is
checked in order, and the first matching restriction wins.
each restriction may either permit the action or deny it.

for example:

post_restrictions = ["permit_someone at somewhere",
		     "permit_owners",
		     "permit_subscribers",
		     "deny"]

or

post_restrictions = ["deny_mesage_exceeds_maxsize",
		     "deny_bad at evil.org",
		     "permit"]

This type of thing is clear and doesn't attempt to classify
each potential list setting in a particular way -- which is
simply impossible.

Since no variables interact with other variables, it's
pretty hard to misunderstand.

scott