[Mailman-Users] password problems on new install

Andy McClements a.mcclements at linst.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 20:18:23 CEST 1999

Hi All,

I've just installed Mailman 1.0rc2 without any obvious problems.

When I create a new list using the newlist script, as per INSTALL Section
5. called "test-list", with my own address as the administrator, I am
mailed the instructions, including the password provided to "newlist".

However when I go to the admin web interface at
http://my.list.server/mailman/admin.cgi/test-list,
I am told "Sorry, wrong password. Try again."

I've also created a password using "mmsitepass", but this is also rejected.

What's happening ? TIA !

Andy McClements
London

The system is running:

RedHat Linux 5.2
gcc 2.7.2.3
Apache 1.3.6 (compiled on this system)
Python 1.5.2 (compiled on this system)

configured using:

$prefix=/usr/local/mailman
--with-python=/usr/local/bin/python
--with-mail-gid=mail
--with-cgi-gid=nobody
--with-cgi-ext=.cgi

I correctly set the permissions on the $prefix directory.

I added to httpd.conf:

Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/"

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin">
   AllowOverride None
   Options Indexes ExecCGI
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all