[Mailman-Users] Re: Non-Latin characters?

sen_ml at eccosys.com sen_ml at eccosys.com
Sat Jul 17 16:55:53 CEST 1999

At around Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:53:34 +0900,
 Glen Malley <glen at interq.or.jp> may have mentioned:

> I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has gotten
> Mailman to work well with messages containing non-Latin
> characters. In my particular case, Japanese.

out of curiosity, did you change any of the messages which originate
from the list to contain japanese?  if so, did you add:

(or something similar) to the headers?  not that this is relevant to
the archiver mangling the messages...

> I did a few tests on my test-box and found that while
> Japanese messages do get sent perfectly to the mailing
> list recipients, archiving somehow mangles the encoding
> and produces gibberish.
>
> Obviously this is not a good thing...
> Does anyone have any experience/comments about this?

i've decided to go the route of using mhonarc as an archiver as it also
handles mime messages quite well.

this involves a couple of things -- the first is to get mailman working
w/ mhonarc and the second is to get mhonarc working w/ japanese.

for the second part, if you can read japanese, there are instructions
at:

  http://www.shiratori.riec.tohoku.ac.jp/~p-katoh/Hack/Docs/mhonarc-jp/

for the first part, there was a related message a while back on this
list.  i'll quote it below as it isn't too long.  not sure how up-to-date
the instructions are.

hope this helps.

<---------------------------------------------------------------------->
From: Christopher Lindsey lindsey at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:34:25 -0500 (CDT)

> Anyone successfully have mailman and mhonarc setup?
> Any info about doing it would be appreciated.

Yup, but it's a hack.  The longterm goal is to patch mailman
to allow *any* outside archival program to be executed instead
of pipermail, but for now I just subscribe an archiving
account to the mailing list.

The archiving account can be alias that pumps things directly
into mhonarc, or you can use procmail (as I do) to send the
incoming messages to mhonarc with appropriate commandline
arguments.

The final thing that I do is comment out mention of the archives
from $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py (lines 40 and 41 in 1.0rc1) and
the sections in $prefix/Mailman/MailList.py.  I also change
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL and PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL to point to the
URL that the MHonArc-based archives are in.

Chris