[Mailman-Users] mailman aliases

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Wed Jul 28 22:18:08 CEST 1999

Wow!  I'm impressed.  Once past the initial hurdle of the vsnprintf
problem and Solaris 2.5, I had mailman installed and working in less that
an hour.  Beautiful!

In case this hasn't been discussed already, I have a suggestion for
handling the mailman aliases.

The INSTALL file says:

    - Add aliases for `mailman' and `owner-mailman' to the system's
      mail alias database.  These aliases should point to whoever is
      ultimately responsible for the Mailman installation.  Here are
      instructions for those running sendmail:

          1. su to root.
          2. Assuming your email is fred at flintstone.com, add the following
             lines to the file /etc/aliases:

             mailman: fred at flintstone.com
             mailman-owner: mailman

          3. Some versions of sendmail require you to run the program
             'newaliases' explicitly.

I did this a little differently:

1) add to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

O AliasFile=/home/mailman/aliases

2) create the /home/mailman/aliases dbm files
cd /home/mailman
- edit aliases and add mailman and mailman-owner alias entries as above
touch aliases.dir aliases.pag
chown root aliases*
chgrp mailman aliases*

3) run newaliases and restart sendmail

When adding a new list:

/home/mailman/bin/newlist list-name list-admin-address admin-password 1 >>
 /home/mailman/aliases

then you just have to edit the aliases file to remove the extra junk
output by newlist (but this could be suppressed when the immediate flag
is used) and run newaliases.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \