[Mailman-Users] Mailman SMTP problem

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Tue Aug 1 04:14:14 CEST 2000

> As I set up a new list MailMan tries to send out the first mail to
> the admin's mailaddress. Nothing goes out, I get this error in
> ~mailman/logs/error:
>
> Jul 30 14:20:02 2000 (1140) Delivery exception: list.extend()
> argument must be a list
> Jul 30 14:20:02 2000 (1140) Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/DATADISK/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line
> 82, in do_pipeline
>     func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/DATADISK/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Sendmail.py", line
> 95, in process
>     failedrecips.extend(chunk)
> TypeError: list.extend() argument must be a list
>
> I switched to sendmail delivery and it works for now.
> Any thoughts?

Looks like a bug to me; I think that failedrecips line should
be failedrecips.extend([chunk]) for Python 1.5.2 anyway.

But it's probably a latent bug because Sendmail shouldn't be failing
to get you into that code.  It'd be worth fixing that line (as above)
and switching back to Sendmail.py to see what's going wrong to cause
sendmail failures.

I'll file the bug.