[Mailman-Users] Sender of Passwd Reminder is wrong

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Tue Aug 1 22:45:11 CEST 2000

Neil Cooler wrote:

> I awoke this morning to 100 or so bounce messages from mailman.  I
> looked at the messages and they were all passwd reminders.
>
> What confuses me is that the sender address of the emails was not
> mailman-owner at lists.nandomedia.com, but was
> newtest at lists.nandomedia.com, a test list which I created.

Yes, that has been discussed at great length on the aliases.
Whatever list the user is first found on is the 'sender'.
Or something like that.

> It also seems weird to me that all these addresses were bouncing since
> we normally recieve very few bounce reports from the lists as the users
> are usually removed from the lists as they bounce.

Reminder traffic is different from normal list traffic, and doesn't
get the same bounce processing.  You can see this as a good thing, since
it allows you to manually cleanse your subscriber list (since each
reminder, unlike list mail, is a unique message with a unique
recipient, and therefore the bounce probably uniquely identifies the
bouncer...it's a sort of "list probe for free").