[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Scott Russell scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com
Tue Aug 1 23:32:17 CEST 2000

It's trivial to write a php (or perl) cgi that would allow a user to enter
their email address, choose a list, and submit the info to subscribe
without ever choosing a password.

Lets say you have a list called easylist at mailman.org. Sending an email to
easylist-request at mailman.org with the body of the message as

  subscribe address=newuser at nowhere.com

should subscribe the new address and send them an email confirmation
according to the list settings. Done this way mailman will generate a
password for the new user. If they wish to unsubscribe or change options
they will need that password.

Hope this helps a bit.

--
Scott