[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Aug 2 18:41:04 CEST 2000

At 1:06 AM +1000 8/3/00, Chuck Dale wrote:

>I find the reminder meaningless anyway. A reminder that comes once a
>month is a reminder that gets deleted or forgotten by most people.

Yes, and no. I've run lists with and without regular reminders. They
definitely help some people, adn the people who tune them out don't
pay attention to anything anyway. The monthly reminders are, I think,
a net win, if tehy're done right.

I don't think Mailman does them quite right. I'd MUCH prefer to see
this done on a per-list basis, not a per-server basis, and also allow
me to space them out over a period of time, so that they aren't all
sent out at the same time. And, once we do that, to include some kind
of text file as a "monthly reminder" about the list as well. THEN
it'd be useful. Except to the ones who refuse to be helped, and since
there are no 100% solutions, I don't believe that things that aren't
100% useful ought to be tossed out because of it...

Another advantage of the reminder is that it helps nudge traffic into
very low volume groups that otherwise might get forgotten. And it
helps people remember they're on the lower volume lists, where
otherwise, it might cause issues down the road because they forgot, a
list suddenly gets busy, and they think they're being spammed. And
that DOES happen.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"