[Mailman-Users] Huge problem (in my opinion) with large lists...

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at beopen.com
Sun Aug 6 18:34:10 CEST 2000

    KA> We are running Mailman2.0beta4 and I'm noticing the following
    KA> significant issue.  As messages come in, they're dumped into a
    KA> qfiles/ directory where they're processed sequencially by
    KA> qrunner.  One of our lists has over 100,000 subscribers.
    KA> Unfortunately, when a message is sent to this huge list, all
    KA> other mail messages (for any of the other lists on the server)
    KA> are basically "on hold" until this huge list receives their
    KA> message.  I'm sitting here watching the queue size grow.
    KA> qrunner seems to be running though (an strace shows that it's
    KA> zipping through the list of recipients).

    KA> Is there anything that can be done to give each queue (or
    KA> list) its own thread, so that the system does not come to a
    KA> grinding halt when a huge distribution is processed?

The SMTPDirect delivery module has some experimental support for
threading.  If your Python interpreter was built with thread support,
try playing with MAX_DELIVERY_THREADS in mm_cfg.py (see the comments
in Defaults.py for details).

Mailman can't require threads yet because Python 1.5.2 is the last
official final release of Python on the streets, and it is not built
with threads by default.  This will likely change with Python
1.6/2.0.

-Barry