[Mailman-Users] Virtual Domains, Patch, Question

Chuck Dale bug at aphid.net
Mon Aug 7 15:20:02 CEST 2000

Wrote Ace Suares on Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 09:20:23PM +0200:

> This is in reply to a message of David Sexton
> which appeared Wed, 08 Mar 2000 15:48:07 +0000
> on this list.
>
> He describes a patch to MailList.py that should make virtual user support
> more easy.
> I applied the patch to 2.0beta5-1 and the patch seemed to work. (I mean, the
> file was patched without rejections).

I used this patch on Mailman 1.1 and got no such problems. There is no
better way that I've found to provide clean virtual domain support.

Looks like 2.0 has put some checks in to stop you making bad changes:

    elif getattr(mlist, property) <> value:
        # TBD: Ensure that mlist.real_name differs only in letter
        # case.  Otherwise a security hole can potentially be opened
        # when using an external archiver.  This seems ad-hoc and
        # could use a more general security policy.
        if property == 'real_name' and \
           string.lower(value) <> string.lower(mlist._internal_name):
            # then don't install this value.
            changed!  It must differ from the list's name by case
            only.<p>""")
            continue
        setattr(mlist, property, value)

    [line 815 of Mailman/Cgi/admin.py]

Just remove the check if you want to. But the comments indicate that
this is could be a security hole...

> However, I can not change "The public name of this list (make case-changes
> only)." in the admin screen. The cgi-bin program says that it won't allow
> anything else then case changes.
>
> How to solve this ? The admin program in cgi-bin is not a script, and the
> config.db per list is a database, so i can not meddle around with it directly.

Actually it seems that the admin program in cgi-bin is just a wrapper to
run the Mailman/Cgi/admin.py script. I only just realised this, but it
definitely makes things easier.

> What is the proper way to set up virtual domains ? I understand mailman has
> support for it, but if no list can have the same name in different domains,
> it's not very usefull.
>
> In the archives I didn't find many usefull answers; this patch of Dave Sexton
> seems the closest thing to a solution...

Hopefully someone comes up with a cleaner solution one day.  -- What you
want me to do it?? =)

Chuck

               [ charles hamilton dale <bug at aphid.net> ]