[Mailman-Users] Problems with OpenBSD

petro petro at lists.bounty.org
Fri Aug 25 00:46:47 CEST 2000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 03:28:40PM -0700, Seer Snively wrote:
> Okay, well, the fun has begun!
> I'm taking over system admin and I'd like to dump the lame alias file
> includes and move to mailman, but I'm having a few small problems.
> First of all, I can't seem to figure out how to install the wrapper.  Most
> of the docs don't mention OpenBSD (the system that I'm afraid I'm stuck
> with) and lots of things are in non-standard places.  For example:

	I'm running mailmain on OpenBSD, and I'm having no problems, but
I'm not using Sendmail (might I suggest that that is another thing to
eliminate (not to start any MTA  wars, but Sendmail is overly complex, and
a possible security hole in and of itself)). I'm using exim, which works
*REALLY* well, since it reaches into Mailman's config.db file for aliases.

> - We run sendmail, but smrsh just a file in /etc/sbin, there is no
> directory
>
> - Aliases are in dir /etc/mail, not just /etc/aliases
>
> So the major problem is that sendmail doesn't understand the
> "test" mailing list I've set up.  Or at least doesn't know that test and
> test-requests are now valid email addys.  The mailman logs seem to be
> happy and I only get "unknown user" errors in sendmail logs.

	You did (I only ask out of completeness) add the appropriate aliases
*and* run newaliases right?

> p.s. OpenBSD 2.6, Python 1.5.2, sendmail 8.9.3, most current mailman
> (beta)

	Caviet--I had problems with the beta 2s, so I am running the latest
1.x vesion.