[Mailman-Users] Help, please.

Phil Barnett midnight at the-oasis.net
Fri Aug 25 06:33:22 CEST 2000

I've spent about 15 hours in the last two days trying to wind my
way through the maze I'm dealing with.

First, I have a Redhat 6.2 server running Plesk Server
Administrator. Plesk creates a fairly secure environment, including
using suexec for cgi-bin security.

This is giving me fits, since it means I have to give special
ownership and specific rights to the /home/mailman/cgi-bin
directory. This means that once I get this directory set so that the
cgi-bin files will execute that bin/check_perms returns a bunch of
errors, ie: it thinks that most of it should be owned by mailman
instead of the suexec group id.

Also, bin/check_perms suggests that the cgi-bin directory should
be chmod 02775, but suexec insists on 02755. Also, I had to
chown a lot of files in the /home/mailman directory to the suexec
id, ie: chown -R fiberhos.pleskcli instead of mailman.mailman.

I'm wondering at this point if I can even get it to work at all...

Am I beating a dead horse?

What do I have so far? If I log into the server at:
https://www.fiberhosting.com/mailman/admin, I get the admin
page, but if I try to open
https://www.fiberhosting.com/mailman/admin/test, it just locks up
and waits several minutes until it times out. There is nothing written
to the logs/error file or any other file in the logs directory. the
suexec log shows that a cgi script ran without problems. There is
nothing in the apache logs. After it timed out, the python process
stopped. (ps aux)

I'd really appreciate any help I can get from any of you. Thanks...

Here is some information on the server (from an error I corrected
during my getting permissions set)

Redhat 6.2

Mailman version 2.0beta5

Python information:

sys.version 1.5.2 (#1, Feb 1 2000, 16:32:16) [GCC egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-
sys.executable /usr/bin/python
sys.prefix /usr
sys.exec_prefix /usr
sys.path /usr
sys.platform linux-i386

Environment variables:

SSL_SERVER_I_DN
/C=RU/O=BSG/CN=als.nsk.bsgdesign.com/CN=localhost
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING  gzip, deflate
SSL_SERVER_CN  localhost
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE  en-us
SSL_SERVER_C  RU
GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1
SSL_SERVER_O  BSG
HTTP_ACCEPT  */*
REQUEST_URI  /mailman/admin/test
SSL_SERVER_I_C  RU
SSL_SSLEAY_VERSION  OpenSSL 0.9.4 09 Aug 1999
HTTPS  on
HTTP_HOST  www.fiberhosting.com
SSL_SERVER_I_O  BSG
SERVER_ADMIN  admin at fiberhosting.com
SCRIPT_FILENAME  /home/mailman/cgi-bin/admin
HTTPS_SECRETKEYSIZE  128
PYTHONPATH  /home/mailman
SSL_PROTOCOL_VERSION  SSLv3
HTTP_USER_AGENT  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01;
Windows NT)
DOCUMENT_ROOT
/usr/local/plesk/apache/vhosts/fiberhosting.com/httpsdocs
SERVER_ADDR  206.132.232.94
SSL_SERVER_I_CN  localhost
SERVER_PORT  443
HTTPS_KEYSIZE  128
CHARSET_HTTP_METHOD  https://
UNIQUE_ID  OaXq286E6F4AAFS-DgE
REMOTE_ADDR  207.30.74.40
SERVER_NAME  www.fiberhosting.com
HTTP_CONNECTION  Keep-Alive
CHARSET_SERVER_NAME  www.fiberhosting.com:443
SSL_SERVER_DN
/C=RU/O=BSG/CN=als.nsk.bsgdesign.com/CN=localhost
CHARSET_SERVER_PORT  443
SSL_CIPHER  RC4-MD5
PATH  /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
QUERY_STRING
SERVER_PROTOCOL  HTTP/1.1
PATH_INFO  /test
REMOTE_PORT  2754
REQUEST_METHOD  GET
PATH_TRANSLATED
/usr/local/plesk/apache/vhosts/fiberhosting.com/httpsdocs/test
SCRIPT_NAME  /mailman/admin
SERVER_SOFTWARE  Apache/1.3.12 Ben-SSL/1.38 (Unix)
PHP/3.0.15 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 rus/PL29.4
HTTPS_CIPHER  RC4-MD5

              Phil Barnett  mailto:midnight at the-oasis.net
                       WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net/