[Mailman-Users] Re: Complaint: My E-mail address appears on this site without my permission

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Sat Aug 26 23:54:15 CEST 2000

On 2000.08.26, in <p04320403b5cde3e59524@[209.239.169.197]>,
	"Chuq Von Rospach" <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> Archives are a public record. I don't edit them or remove messages,
> any more than a newspaper can unpublish an article in a newspaper.
> But -- that doesn't mean you don't have some responsibility to
> protect those archives from abuse, but anyone who posts anywhere to
> anything on the net is at some risk -- you can manage those risks,

I like the fact that Mailman leaves the original (not-quite-)mbox files
intact.  With this, I do not have to tamper with list archives, but I
certainly can alter their presentation without tangling with
revisionism.  Editing HTML archives feels much closer to altering the
list archive than changing my presentation algorithm does.  I'd have no
problem with changing the program that turns archives to HTML in order
to hide email addresses, but I would NOT edit my only copy of the
archive to remove all the "@"s.

IMO, all list managers should keep archives in the mail system's
natural format, and convert to whatever presentation is preferred when
necessary.

I also like it when you can download the unadulterated mbox from the
archive's web pages.  My search tools are usually much better than the
web server's, within such a narrow scope.

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago