[Mailman-Users] virtual domains (a less stupid question, I hope)

sigma at pair.com sigma at pair.com
Wed Jan 5 21:54:55 CET 2000

> Okay, now that I've solved a relay restriction issue and Mailman seems to
> be running quite happily, I'm going to try and get it to handle virtual
> domains.  I can see two approaches to this; I'd like to bounce them off
> the list and see if anybody has tried them and had any success, or if
> someone's doing something that works better.

We went with neither.  The first approach you suggested would be ideal, but
requires quite a bit of gut work on Mailman, I suspect.  The second doesn't
seem like it would scale well, and on the Apache side you'd have to settle
for HTTP/1.1 style hosting only, unless you want to burn an extra IP
address for every mailing list.  Although maybe you could hack it to all
work under a single domain for that part?

We simply decided to not allow common or generic list names, which greatly
reduces the chance of a conflict.  It's a limitation I'd like to see go
away, but it's fine otherwise, and keeps the customization to a minimum.

Kevin Martin
sigma at pair.com