[Mailman-Users] Script to Add lists (under RH6).

Garret Krampe garret at satix.net
Mon Jan 24 20:40:10 CET 2000

You must be root to run this !

#!/bin/bash
# FILENAME: ~/mailman/bin/nlist
LIST=$1
ADMIN=$2
PASS=$3
if [ "$#" = "1" ] ; then
  ADMIN=fred at bloggs.org
  PASS=d21nnnnfwfjjga-+',,
 echo "creating $LIST for $ADMIN passwrd: $PASS"
else
  if [ "$#" = "3" ] ; then
     echo "creating $LIST for $ADMIN passwrd: $PASS"
  else
    echo "$0 AUTO creates a list, adds to /etc/aliases and rebuilds sendmail"
    echo "by garret at satix.net"
    exit 5
  fi
fi

FOUND=`cat /etc/aliases | grep "^$LIST:"`
if [ "$FOUND" = "" ] ; then
   echo "Checked /etc/aliases ... List name is OK"
else
   echo "Checked /etc/aliases ... List name EXISTS "
   echo "$FOUND"
   exit 10
fi
if [ -f /home/mailman/lists/$LIST ] ; then
   echo "List already exists ... use rmlist -a $LIST to remove it "
   exit 20
else
   echo "New list $LIST is OK to CREATE"
fi
rm -f /tmp/newaliases

su - mailman -c "bin/newlist $LIST $ADMIN $PASS $PASS | egrep -v 'Entry'
>>/tmp/newaliases"
su - mailman -c "echo $ADMIN | bin/add_members -n - -c n -w y $LIST "
su - mailman -c "echo $USERNAME@$(hostname) | bin/add_members -n - -c n -w y
$LIST "

cat /tmp/newaliases >>/etc/aliases
newaliases
rm -f /tmp/newaliases

#/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop
#/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start
#
# Send a message to the list so no one posts complaints of cron doing things
# with BOGUS archives again.
echo "TESTING OF $LIST" | mail -s "TESTING OF $LIST" $LIST
echo "Done $LIST Created Password $PASS"

Ron Keith wrote:

> Garrett,
>
> The script for installin mailman is way cool...

Tar Thanks :))

> However, I installed it by hand and am still having some difficulties in
> redhat 6...
>
> I have to go specifically to "host.xxx.edu/mailman/admin" to get anything on
> html.

Naturally ... ?? I'm not sure what you mean ... it's meant to work like that.

> Also, after receiving a test list I could not respond by email to it ..

You must be subscribed.

> any more how-to docs floating around?

This one may help you.

--