[Mailman-Users] slowness in listing mailing lists?

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 19:54:00 CET 2000

In message <3891E34F.73CD6E72 at uchicago.edu>, Roberto Ullfig writes:
>So why would it take so long to display the list of all mailman
>lists that we run? We have about 450 lists and it takes just
>over _1 minute_ for the list of lists to display. Meanwhile,
>access to individual list pages takes only 1 second - so it's
>not a slow server. Is there any way to speed up this time?

Mailman doesn't cache that data, because on a big server, the description or
the visibility can change at any time.  Therefore, when you request the main
list page, it has to go into every list's config.db file and check the
description and the visibility to make an up-to-date list.  This obviously
takes a while.  I think 1.1 sped it up a bit, but it still definitely takes a
while.  Individual lists take much less time because there's only one file to
open.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen at pobox.com
Check Website or finger for PGP Public Key        secabeen at midway.uchicago.edu